If you find yourself battling to decide between Umbraco vs WordPress – you’ve got to the right place. The post aims to provide you with all the ins and outs of both platforms for you to make the right choice, and therefore enhance your online presence and improve your life as an editor.
One of the biggest questions in web design and development is what tool to choose. However, without a clear answer to the question “What am I trying to achieve?” you are going to have a hard time choosing the CMS to settle the web project on. When it comes to Umbraco vs WordPress – both systems have their merits and choosing the right one mostly depends on what the project’s requirements are. To give you a better idea of which will work better for your needs, here are some of their advantages and disadvantages.
What is Umbraco?
Umbraco is an open-source CMS based on the Microsoft.NET platform that provides its users with all the great functionality they expect from a full-fledged CMS without the hefty license fees. The platform has consistently proven to be one of the best CMS options due to its unlimited functionality and customizability.
What about WordPress?
WordPress is an open-source blogging tool and a content management system based on PHP and MySQL. It is currently recognized as one of the most popular and talked-about software available, thanks to its vast template and plugin community.
Umbraco. Pros and Cons.
Thousands of the world’s biggest brands (from Microsoft to Heinz) have chosen Umbraco due to the numerous benefits that it offers:
- It’s free. In other words, the budget issue is out of the window.
- It’s open-source. Therefore, it’s constantly being improved by a devoted and collaborative community of developers and enthusiasts.
- It’s extremely flexible. Umbraco can be custom designed to meet your specific needs, no matter how large or small.
However, where there is light – there is also a shadow. Thus, Umbraco’s potential drawbacks that hold it back:
- Developer-friendly. Designed with developers in mind, the platform requires a little extra effort to get comfortable with how it works.
- Not a plug-and-play solution. There are no plugins for expanding core functionality. It can be done only through coding.
- Bugginess. There are still some annoyances, like templates that get duplicated in the database for no reason, sudden missing library references, and some more serious ones.
- Performance. Umbraco is not too speedy.
WordPress. Pros and Cons.
For those looking to get a website up and running without getting the hands dirty over codes and scripts should look no further than WordPress. The platform provides its followers with a large array of necessary tools to create everything from simple web pages to complex web applications. Especially the platform prides itself on the following:
- It is extremely easy-to-use. Eye-catchy and professionally-looking websites can be created within a short coffee break, and exactly the simplicity has helped the platform gain its popularity among non-developers.
- It has unlimited functionality. There is a whole catalog of ready to go themes and plugins aiming to help your site grow and scale as needed.
- It is well-trusted and supported. The platform’s active and vibrant community provides a welcoming place to help users cope with any issues.
- It is SEO-friendly. Being favored by Google and other search engines makes the platform beneficial in terms of high positions in top rankings.
There are, however, some drawbacks associated with WordPress.
- One of the largest concerns is the platform’s security. Due to a large number of plugins and templates with some of them being not properly designed, implemented, or updated, can leave your WordPress website vulnerable to hack attacks.
- It uses a lot of resources. Basic WordPress installation requires a theme and at least a few plugins to work effectively. This isn’t much of a problem but the more WordPress plugins you install the slower your website becomes.
Umbraco vs WordPress. Practical Considerations.
Comparing Umbraco to WordPress, let’s remind the question we’ve stated at the beginning, “What am I trying to achieve?” and apply that now to each CMS. If you want a large corporate website that requires huge design freedom or pages with specific content requirements and makes use of dynamic content – then Umbraco should be high on your consideration list. WordPress, on the contrary, is a perfect fit if you want to get a site up and running quickly without large development or hosting overheads. It is more suitable for smaller websites that provide regular updates such as news or blogs and allow you.
Feeling inspired to switch from Umbraco to WordPress?
Have a look at this brand-new Prezi and find out how to do this in a matter of minutes in a totally automated way!
There’s no obvious leader as far as both platforms offer different options. But the statistics say that WordPress is the most powerful CMS nowadays.
There’s a reasonable doubt why Umbraco isn’t the best option for 2021 website. Nowadays, the speed of the website matters greatly. Being not too speedy when it comes to performance, Umbraco fades comparing to other CMSs.
If SEO, functionality and support community matter to you, then WordPress is just the ticket. Eye-catchy and professionally-looking websites can be created within a short coffee break!
There are over 50 000 websites powered by Umbraco CMS, from startups and charities to global brands. The most popular are Trenord, DWTonline, and Umbraco itself.
Initially, WordPress was created as a blog builder. But thanks to its functionality and user-friendliness, now it’s suitable for any purpose website and even community forum.
Use the automated migration service to be sure that the process is smooth and not a single user is lost. In case of an emergency, you will always have technical support.
How to move Umbraco to WordPress
- Create aisite account.
- Specify your website details.
- Set up Migration.
- Run Free Demo Migration and check out the results.
- Start Full Migration.
Also, if you want to migrate Umbraco to WordPress, you are able to order the Design customization too! Check this video to get to know more information about it:
Do not waste a minute and start your Free Demo Migration right now! After using aisite automated website and forum migration service, you will experience a new way of the success of your website!